Now for something completely different!
Several people have asked me for my recipe for this favourite dessert of ours, so I have decided to make a post of it here. I know that this looks like a fattening, rich dessert but it is absolutely not! It is just fruit (bananas) with a tiny bit of peanut butter and some natural cocoa powder. Everything is good for you, there are no animal products in it, so it’s safe for the lactose intolerant and it is absolutely delicious. And most important is that it is easy to make at home. There are more flavours below the description, so have fun with this one – maybe you can come up with another tasty combination for this n’icecream!
Feel free to ask any questions you might have in the comments and I will do my best to answer them. Let me know if you try this out and which are your favourite flavours!
Don’t let the fact that it’s good for you put you off trying this out! (No ice cream maker needed.)
DAIRY FREE CHOCOLATE PEANUT BUTTER BANANA ICE CREAM recipe: (more flavour recipes below)
Serves 2 or 3
- 2 bananas peeled and cut into medallions and frozen for several hours (I have several sitting in the freezer waiting for emergencies)
- 2 tblsp organic plain cocoa powder – not drinking chocolate! (I use Camino Organic)
- 2 tblsp peanut butter, with nothing but peanuts in it – no sugar, salt, added oils etc (optional, but if you leave it out you have to change the title!)
- Small handful of unsweetened plain chocolate chips (Camino Organic 71% again) or cacao nibs or a combination, for a bit of crunch
- Put your frozen banana pieces into a high speed blender or food processor and blend. Keep on blending, stopping to scrape down the sides as needed as you watch the chunks of banana transition through a kind of dry looking mixture, then start to resemble soft serve ice cream.
- At this point add in the additional ingredients – cocoa powder, honey, peanut butter, chocolate chips – and keep blending to incorporate and aerate the ice cream.
- Either eat at once or put into a container and freeze for a little while. Make it a 2 fruit serving by serving it with strawberries, blueberries etc.
Enjoy! (More flavours below)
#nodairy #dairyfree #vegan #veganrecipes #crueltyfree #chocolateicecream
Stage Photos of making n’ice cream
Black Cherry or other fruit: Add some frozen fruit to the banana mixture at any stage, follow all the other steps as above. Quantities will vary, but for the above 2 bananas perhaps 1/2 cup or more of frozen fruit, depending on your taste. Add other flavours to taste (a (very) little cardamom if you like it is nice with the black cherry, or vanilla.
Vanilla Crunchy Peanut Butter: to the bananas add 1/4 tsp vanilla extract, plus 1 heaping tablespoon of crunchy peanut butter at stage 3 or 4. Recipe adaptation contributed by Diana Brown.
Matcha: add 1/2 tsp matcha powder to the 2 bananas above – probably the 2nd stage would be best to avoid the powder flying around too much, mixing it gently with a spoon before starting to blend again. This is a super healthy version of this dessert! (Original recipe for the Matcha version is in the “How Not to Die” Cookbook by Dr. Michael Greger.)